Your Hand
Hold your hand up, and what would I see?
Just five fingers attached to each other?
Lines that run like rivers through your palms?
Areas that are rough and others that are smooth?
What would you want me to see?
Would I see the clenching of your hand
That shows the struggle, the pain, and the fury?
Would I see a different clench
Made as a defiant gesture of fighting inequity?
Would I see the delicate length of your fingers
That could paint true images of the soul
Or play an instrument
To bring beauty back to life?
Would I see a hand that provides compassion
To one who desperately needs comfort?
Would I see your strength
As you grapple with the shadows from yesterday?
Would I see the gentle hands of a lover
Who brings fire and pleasure with a simple touch
And communicates intense passion
When wrapped around my shoulders?
What would you let me see?
Just five fingers attached to each other?
Lines that run like rivers through your palms?
Areas that are rough and others that are smooth?
What would you want me to see?
Would I see the clenching of your hand
That shows the struggle, the pain, and the fury?
Would I see a different clench
Made as a defiant gesture of fighting inequity?
Would I see the delicate length of your fingers
That could paint true images of the soul
Or play an instrument
To bring beauty back to life?
Would I see a hand that provides compassion
To one who desperately needs comfort?
Would I see your strength
As you grapple with the shadows from yesterday?
Would I see the gentle hands of a lover
Who brings fire and pleasure with a simple touch
And communicates intense passion
When wrapped around my shoulders?
What would you let me see?

Comments