Random Thoughts - Harmless Taboos

Here are things that people do that society considers to be in bad form. I am talking about actions that do not harm others, but for one reason or another, they are frowned upon. I have also left out activities that involve bodily functions that are considered harmful for the public good. I am talking about social norms that we do not break. Here are a few for now, and my wondering is, why are they on the naughty list?

  1. Looking into someone else's dryer at the laundromat - Why shouldn't we do this? It is not like we don't all wear clothes, right? What better time to do some window shopping and, if we see something interesting, strike up a conversation. I think that we are missing out on an opportunity here to get to know someone based on similar interests in fashion.
  2. Humming to the music on an elevator - This is one of the things I do, especially if I have more than five floors to travel. After all, what is the whole point of having music, if we can sing along? Sure, I am in a small, enclosed area with climbing or descending at an average of 14 feet every 3-4 seconds, but seriously, what gives? I understand if the infamous Aerosmith song comes on, it could cause some discomfort. However, if one of my favorites that do not involve crashing and burning, I am singing that bad boy out loud!
  3. Facing the wrong way on an elevator - If I walk into anything else, I am still facing the same direction, why is a lift so special? I suppose because the door, buttons, and floor indicators are behind me is why we do it. Why should I get angry looks if I decide to face a specific direction and then inquire about the weather? Adding to the previous taboo, I should be able to belt out Sweet Caroline, including the ba-ba-bums, if that is what playing and expect my cabin mates to yell out, "So good, so good!" In my opinion, one person should be the button pusher, one should be the floor caller, and everyone else can stand around; in whatever fashion they want to. 
  4. Skipping through a crosswalk - We have all done this at one time or another. We sit on a corner, waiting for the signal that it is safe to cross. We get permission to pass, and we all go as a herd walking. Someone, please show me the rule where we have to walk when given the green light to cross the street! What is so wrong with skipping, galloping, twirling, or even cartwheeling from one place to another? When did we lose our joy to the point where we have to walk like little robots? Oh, and if you are the button pusher who thinks continually slamming your palm on the button, hoping it will make a difference, please stop. 
  5. Walking in through the out door at a supermarket - Okay, before you shake your fist at me and yell, "That's why it's called an EXIT." I can read, and I know the inherent dangers of this one. However, if the coast is clear, why not? It is a portal, and there is no barrier put there preventing me from going into the store. I consider that sign as a suggestion instead of a rule. Besides, if they did not want me going in that way, why is there a sensor over the door that tells the door to open? By the way, whatever happened to those awesome mats that when you jumped on them, the door opened?

Comments

Popular Posts