Letters and Numbers



Have you ever stopped to wonder how many words are in the English Language? It is a very loaded question when you think of the history of words that come into fashion and fate away. For example, when was the last time you heard someone utter, "Forsooth?" After some digging, most places agree that historically, there have been over 1,000,000 words created in the English language. As of last year, the numbers vary. However, after some more searching, I did find some interesting information regarding the number of words per letter. This dude located here downloaded a dictionary and then wrote a javascript to determine words per letter.

Please keep in mind that I was not able to verify that all of the words listed are part of the current vernacular. I also kinda nerded out and made a pie chart showing the distribution.

A - 16869
B- 11117
C - 19851
D - 11107
E - 8748
F - 7152
G - 6969
H - 9105
I - 8819
J - 1637
K - 2234
L - 6322
M - 12503
N - 6758
O - 7877
P - 24472
Q - 1179
R - 9918
S - 25333
T - 12976
U - 16520
V - 3416
W - 4074
X - 384
Y - 680
Z - 963

Here is the thing, where was this list when I was playing scrabble against my dad?

Comments

Popular Posts